Enel and the PNP dismantle clandestine electrical connection used by bakery in Callao

Published on Wednesday, 9 September 2020

  • The establishment was a safety hazard to the residents of the area.
  • Approximately 250 families could have benefited from the stolen energy, which amounts to S / 25,000.


Lima, September 8th, 2020. Enel Distribución and the Peruvian National Police (PNP) ran an operation at a bakery located on Cuzco street in Callao to dismantle a clandestine electrical connection used to operate industrial equipment, which threatened the safety of locals. Even though the bakery had a formal supply of electricity, only 30% of its load was connected to it. The other 70% ran through the clandestine connection.

Additionally, the company detected that the offender had not made any payments to cover the formal supply electrical service throughout the last seven months, accumulating debt over 10 thousand soles. At the time, the service was cut off for this reason. In response, the client reconnected its service irregularly and thus continued to operate clandestinely.

Regarding this intervention, Karen Manrique, representative of Enel Distribución Perú, said that it is essential to carry out these operations to eradicate clandestine connections and self-reconnections of service, which not only overload the electricity grid but also represent a latent fire risk for citizens.

Manrique commented: "We detected that this bakery stole approximately 50 thousand kilowatt-hours of electricity, which is equivalent to the consumption of 250 families, affecting the quality and continuity of the service they receive, since the networks were overloaded." In addition, she stressed that this operation was only possible thanks to the support of the PNP.

The Enel representative urged the population to report any similar cases by calling Fonocliente at 517-1717 to eradicate this type of risk in their neighborhoods.

Enel Distribución Perú is an electrical company of the Enel Group, an Italian firm present in over 34 countries. It has 1.4 million clients in Northern Lima, Central Lima, and the Near North Coast of Lima.


Enel S.p.A. provides for the dissemination to the public of regulated information by using SDIR NIS, managed by BIt Market Services, a London Stock Exchange Group's company, with registered office at Milan, Piazza degli Affari, 6. For the storage of regulated information made available to the public, Enel S.p.A. has adhered, as from July 1st, 2015 to the authorized mechanism denominated “NIS-Storage”, available at the address www.emarketstorage.com, managed by the above mentioned BIt Market Services S.p.A. and authorized by CONSOB with the resolution No. 19067 of November 19th, 2014. From May 19th 2014 to June 30th 2015 Enel S.p.A. used the authorized mechanism for the storage of regulated information denominated “1Info”, available at the address www.1info.it, managed by Computershare S.p.A. with registered office in Milan and authorized by CONSOB with resolution No. 18852 of April 9th, 2014