- City Analytics – Mobility Map is the new solution released by Enel X City Analytics, which provides Italian government agencies with mobility indicators to support analysis of COVID-19 containment measures so as to implement recovery policies
Rome, April 14th, 2020 – To support the response to the COVID-19 emergency, Enel X, the innovative global business line of the Enel Group, and HERE Technologies, global leader in geographical data and mapping services, have launched “City Analytics – Mobility Map”, a big-data solution that estimates variations in the public’s movements and kilometers travelled throughout national, regional and municipal areas in Italy. The solution is an addition to the City Analytics suite, created by Enel X for government agencies and urban planning.
The service maps macro-flows of movements throughout the Italian territory at the regional, provincial and municipal levels based on an analysis of anonymized and aggregated data from connected vehicles, maps and navigation systems, produced thanks to connections with location data from mobile applications and open data from government agencies.
The data processing generates a number of key indicators:
- the daily percentage change in the number of trips in an area, compared to a weighted average from January 2020 with aggregate regional, provincial and municipal views;
- the daily percentage variation in total kilometers traveled, compared to a weighted average from January 2020, with aggregate regional, provincial and municipal views;
- daily percentage view of the areas travelled from the entrance and exit of each municipality, province, region;
- origin/destination matrices showing the percentage of weekly trips between regions, between provinces and between main municipalities.
“The new release of City Analytics is an innovative tool developed to meet the needs of government agencies taking on the emergency,” said Francesco Venturini, Head of Enel X. “Thanks to the collaboration with HERE Technologies we have provided the country with an effective solution for evaluating developments in mobility flows across the territory, which can be used to plan the recovery phase.”
“HERE Technologies is determined to leverage its location intelligence in the fight against the global coronavirus pandemic. Together with Enel X, we hope to help the country contain and control the spread of the coronavirus while protecting the privacy of Italians,” said Edzard Overbeek, CEO of HERE Technologies.
The data can be consulted for free until May 31st, 2020, by central and local government bodies, by the local governments affected and by the Civil Protection Department on the Enel X YoUrban portal. They can be used to better understand the impacts of the COVID-19 containment measures, identify areas that need more support in the implementation of these measures and analyze the gradual return to normal in a data-driven way, once the pandemic is over. In addition to government institutions, the public will also be able to access data on daily mobility flows through the dashboard on the Enel X website, and actively support local governments in such a challenging period for Italy. The dashboard can be accessed at https://www.enelx.com/it/it/smart-city/soluzioni/soluzioni-smart-city/city-analytics/dashboard-covid-19.